Sunday, April 4, 2010
Utah State University
My wife and I decided this weekend that we will be attending Utah State University for graduate school. I will be working with Dr. John Shervais, an igneous petrologist/geochemist. Or, in other words, he studies geology by examining trace elements in volcanic rocks. My project, as far as I know now, we be involving geochemical analysis of basalt from the Snake River Plain, Idaho to more accurately determine the origin (or petrogenesis) of the Snake River Plain. We want to find out whether the Snake River Plain was mainly formed by rare subduction processes underneath western North America or by the more accepted mantle plume (hot spot) theory. I am very excited to work on this project. It is very similar to my senior undergraduate research project that I worked on at BYU-Idaho. We were trying to examine virtually the same thing.
We are very excited to move to Logan. We never thought we would see the day that we would be excited to move to Utah. We have some very good friends of ours in Logan that we became familiar with here in Rexburg. It is a possibility that we could live on the same street as them. That would be fun for all of us because we get along very well and our kids are almost the exact same age. Also, there will be two of my geology friends at BYU-Idaho attending Utah State for graduate school. That is fun for me to keep up that friendship with each of them. Another reason I am excited is that I will be able to go to real basketball games! BYU-Idaho, as many of you know, replaced their competitive intercollegiate sports program for an intra-collegiate sports program. This is a great blessing to many of the students on campus because they get to participate in all sorts of sports with many other fellow students. I had a good time playing in the campus-wide sports programs. Although, since Seattle no longer has a basketball team, I am very excited to go cheer, root for, and participate in a large setting competitive basketball program. It is also a bonus that their team happens to be pretty good. Though, it will be hard to decide who to root for when they play BYU. Either way, I am very excited to watch good basketball.
We are debating whether to rent or buy a home. We need your opinions, advice, and overall input. Please leave comments on your thoughts. We will be there at least two years, possibly more. But, our ultimate goal is to end up in Washington again, near our family that we love so dearly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Congratulations! Your project sounds interesting, but I already know the answer: God did it. Right after he put all those "dinosaur bones" all over to confuse us. Such a joker, that God fellow.
Oh, and how can it be tough to decide whom to root for when your school plays against BYU? Or when any school plays against BYU? But seriously, if you like your school and team, then it's no question to root for them against BYU.
Congratulations! We are so excited to have you coming here. You should totally buy one of the houses on our street. You could probably own for about the same cost as renting. That would be awesome!
Post a Comment