Thursday, December 24, 2009

Graduation


Here I am walking into the Commencement ceremony. I put this here because I am impressed my wife got this picture. She must have been paying strict attention, graduates had been walking in for about 15 minutes at this point.


Where's Waldo?
It's okay, I can't find me either. This semester there were 1280 graduation candidates.


At the convocation ceremony I gave the opening prayer and so I got to sit on the stand which was weird enough. To add to that akwardness President and Sister Clarke (President of BYU-Idaho) and Elder Richard G. Scott (not pictured) were also on the stand.



Elder Scott, President Clarke, physical sciences dean Kendall Peck, Mark Lovell standing in for geology chair Dan Moore, and Brian and Lauree Hawkes (my former bishop and his wife) participated in the awarding of the diploma covers. The physical sciences and engineering college did not have many graduates this semester, around 50 I think.



My empty diploma cover!



Even the kids got to meet President Clarke and Elder Scott. Sebastian was afraid of both these men in their robes, but warmed up to President Clarke when he bent down. they eventually shook hands. Sebastian was not so fortunate to shake Elder Scott's hand, but he did get a warm smile. Sebastian did understand that he was a prophet, but he was still afraid of him. Elder Scott attended our convocation because he was a nuclear engineer by profession. He told us of some of his work experience and how his undergraduate studies helped him in his field. It was great to have him at our ceremony.



No I have not grown, my dad is still taller; the picture is just a little crooked. It was wonderful to have my parents in town for this event and celebration. I think they were truly amazed that I graduated college. Sometimes I think they wondered if I would even attend college because of my "love" of high school.



Elizabeth's parents showed up unknown to me - apparently only me. It was a great surprise to look up in the stands halfway through commencement and realize who was sitting with my wife. Yes, it took me an hour to realize they were there. Darkness + nosebleed section = longer than normal recognition times. It was wonderful to have my family here for graduation. Thank you all for coming!

3 comments:

Jacob said...

Congratulations Chris! I knew you'd make it. What plans do you guys have until you found out more about grad school?

Aaron and Carolyn said...

Congrats to the Sants!! The picture with the kids and Pres. Clark and Elder Scott is pretty sweet.

Elizabeth said...

I would say "Elder Scott was not so fortunate to shake Sebastian's hand" seeing as he wanted to, but Sebastian wouldn't have it =)